Sunday, November 4, 2007

Teachings from the Pulpit

Well, today is Sunday, and Sunday means time for Church! WOOT! Today mom and I decided to head out to the local Church and I learned a lot during the message. First off, the worship... amazing! I really needed some good singing time with Jesus, and it was fantastic. I've found that I completely am in love with the song (that I don't know the name of) "You are my shield, my strength, my fortress, deliverer, my shelter, strong tower, my EVER present help in time of need".

Those are some powerful words, and they are so true. Often times we get so caught up in the idea that ourselves, or people, or things in this world will make us safe or be our source of strength, but it's just not true. God is the only source of strength and answers and clarity, and as long as I sit around trying to come up with my own answers, I'm just making it harder and harder for myself to accept Christ's plan for me. Then He takes something that is so valuable or important in our lives, and takes it away - and He takes it away for a reason.... to WAKE us up to His Plans for our lives and to remind us that He is in control, not our worldly selves.

Here are the main points from today's sermon (We read from Jonah):
1. Recognize that God is all I need.
2. My worldly way leads only to pain
3. God is the one that gives me what I need the most.

Solutions:
1. Recognize where your running has led you - Where are you currently in your life?
2. Return to God with a humble, repentant heart.
3. Surround yourself with those who are committed to supporting you and encouraging you to be a better person.
4. Surrender trust that God is moving you to exactly where you need to be.

GREAT Stuff today! Absolutely amazing and SO timely for my life. Now, fans, I'm the type of person that is not into uber "religious" Christianity... you know the ones where everything is "You're going to hell if you do this" or "I can't love you because you're not perfect". I recognize that I myself am a sinner and I am DEFINTELY not perfect. I don't want to push myself on other people, and I want people to see my life as different through my actions - not my overbearing "Christian" words.

So here's my question... how does one be spiritual but not overly religious? And how does one influence those around them for the better without walking on or making others feel uncomfortable??

The answers I've come up with are constant prayer for those around you and loving them through everything, not passing judgement or gaining revenge for anything, but genuinely loving them through their lives and their choices. I hope I'm that way to those around me. And if not... please give me some advice on how to better love you, my friend :-) Thank you and goodnight!

No comments: