Thursday, November 15, 2007

Questions of all Questions

Fans... it's been a wonderful day filled with new items to ponder the brain about. I've been chatting with a friend of mine about possibly moving out when I graduate, instead of waiting for the planned 2009 move out. Thus, she began challenging me with the questions below, and she actually answered the questions on her own... it was terrific!

1. What are the pros and the cons of moving out?
Answer:
Pros- you build equity(if we decide to buy), you gain responsibility, you are in charge of everything, you answer to no one but yourself, you make all decisions, you learn about yourself, and it builds character for you to be out on your own without others holding you back.
Cons- Financial - you can't save as much money- but really, am I putting all the money I would spend on housing into a separate account to save for my future, relationally/companionship - you may not have anyone around to talk to

So honestly, the pros do outweigh the cons, and really the cons can be made into pros because you could have a roommate, and you will be more financially responsible this way. I thought she made a good argument - gotta love a friend that will challenge you!

2. What's holding you back from doing so or wanting do to so when you're done with school?

Now this is the kicker- what's holding me back? I feel like I can't leave because my family needs me - I'm the cook, the cleaner, the grocery store shopper, the organizer - how will my house run without me?

My friend was nice enough to explain that I'm hiding behind the needs of my family which are not even relevant because my mom has already lived without me for two years - she can take care of herself.

So I guess the only other reason is financial - right now I have too much stuff to pay for to move out, so I can't really think about doing so - however, there is no reason that 6 months down the road I can't make that transition into a new life and a new home....

3. And again with the questions, where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I did say in an earlier post that I wanted to own a condo by the time 5 years comes around, so . . . what's the problem with owning one a little sooner than 5 years, right?

I know, this is a super random post, but I thought it was thought provoking. At least I learned something from the conversation - that I make FAR too many excuses in my daily life, and I need to learn to say no, grab life by the horns, and just do what's best for me, not for everyone else. Because the world will still be spinning even if I were not around - life goes on and I need to accept that! :-)

No comments: