Friday, December 28, 2007

Live like you were dying

Over the past several days I've had this Tim McGraw song on my mind - the one about his dad dying and regretting not living his life more. Well, I've begun to realize the importance and the appropriateness of such a song. None of us are guaranteed another day, month, or year - and with that we need to be living life up more. In earlier posts I've discussed the things that I would do if I were told that I had one year left to live. However, over this week I've begun to realize the importance of appreciating and sharing time with the people within our own lives.

Everyday I don't value those that are aound me enough. Honestly, I take them for granted more than I appreciate them for who they are in my life. I'm not thankful enough and I definitely don't spend enough time with those that are closest to me. I wish I had all the time in the world to spend my days with my family, my friends, my long lost relatives, and making and building new relationships.

So then the questions arise... who are the most influencial people in your life? Who are the people you would lay your own life down for - if there are any? Who are the people that have helped make you into the person you are today? If there is someone you have lost track of - who is it, and how can you make amends with the person? Who is worth fighting for in your life? Who is more important to you than anything else in the world? It's the people that we've just answered the questions for that we need to be 100% dedicated to. We need to work hard at cultivating relationships and keeping them strong.

What can each of us do today to make our relationships stronger? I know that one thing I'm going to be dedicated to doing in the next year is to keep track of my friends by staying in touch via email, notes, or phone calls. It's amazing how small acts of kindness and friendship can cultivate even the weakest of relationships. So, my dear readers, what are you going to do today or in the New Year to make your relationships stronger? Who are you going to fight for in the next year? And what are you going to do to make sure you don't lose track of those closest to you?

No comments: