Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Be quiet, Be still

Recently, I've found myself running on all cylinders - literally going and going for 18 hours a day, getting a little rest and then back up again for more. Trying to keep myself busy and staying active is the goal, however I've begun to realize a very important part of daily living that I have cut out of my routine. It all goes back to the fact that God created the world in 7 days, but it didn't take all 7 to complete the earth, on the last day God Himself even rested. This has become known as a Sabboth day throughout history where there is to be no work or worry or even thought, but just quiet time spent alone with God - kind of a check up with the one that created all of us.

In my Devotional Reading "Streams in the Desert" last night, of all nights, it discussed the importance of having quiet, uninterrupted time with oneself and God. As humans we were not made to go 100%, 100% of the time. We are called to take time to rest and take time to reflect on our lives. "We believe in having all our irons in the fire and that all the time we spend away from the anvil or the fire is wasted time. Yet our time is never more profitably spent than when we set aside time for quiet meditation, talking with God". When was the last time you sat down in a 100% quiet and distraction free environment and had some time with God? Honestly, I can't even remember the last time I did that - actually it was probably about a year ago. Personally, I use my car as my place for quiet and meditation. I've learned that from an early age, to take myself somewhere beautiful where there are no distractions just me, my car, and Jesus. I have some quiet music on and I bare my soul before Christ. There are tears shed, prayers given, requests received, and quesitons answered. It's truly the most inspiring and amazing points of my life.

In our crazy, busy, never slowing world we are often challenged on all sides with pressure to perform or pressure to do better or do more. However, at least once a week I encourage you to take some time with God - somewhere special to you and somewhere you can truly listen, truly bare your soul without distraction. I'll make you guys a deal, I'll try my very hardest to do this very challenge, if you, my readers do the same. Yes, it will be really difficult to take time away and go chat with Jesus - but I promise you it is more rewarding than anything else and the questions and the issues you are facing today, God will give you guidance with - a peace to get through each day.

And last, but certainly not least, take time to rest yourself. This means taking a lazy Saturday or Sunday every now and then - not working on the house or the problems or the studying we do so much of, but just sitting - watching a movie, taking a nap, reading a good book - just finding some solitude. Because if we take care of our bodies, our bodies will take care of us. My personal favorite is to take a Saturday, do something for me - like a pedicure - come home, bundle up on the couch and watch some Alias or a movie - fall asleep while watching it, and just rest without the worries and the stress of the world. It's amazing.... and it's something that God Himself even does, and if I remember correctly, He's perfect and we really fall short. So if God does it, we should follow suit and do the same.

Many blessings to all of you this wonderful Christmas morning! Let us take today to rejoice in the Reason for the Season and be grateful for the many blessings we each have - because we are all truly blessed!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ditto. Some of the very best God Talks I've had have been in my vehicular when God and I hash things out with bare fists, often with me shouting, whining and flailing like a bafoon. Needless to say, God always wins. My car is my go-to place for quiet time, yet it's surprising how effective it can be, eh?

Thanks for the vulnerability in your post, Tanish. It serves as a great reminder (especially to our generation) that running on all cylinders through life does more harm then good.

Keep posting!
Blessings,
Mr. Heckel