Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Just too good!

Okay, so today on my 'verse of the day' section on my homepage I found the following verse. I've found myself so often falling for the traps of this world and hearing what TV, Radio, Music, People, and the Media say about things of this world, and I so often fall for their "truth" instead of God's truth. This verse just really stood out to me as something I need to apply to my life, especially the section where it talks about "obscenity, foolish talk, or coarse joking". I can still have fun in my life and laugh and enjoy myself, but it doesn't have to be laden with awkward, innappropriate talk. This is definitely an area that I and so many can work on... here's the verse:

"But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place for God's people, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person -- such a man is an idolater -- has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God."
Ephesians 5:3-5

Pretty intense stuff huh?? It just shows me, right there, in my face, that the way I've lived my life in this world is more of this world than I would like it to be. So then the questions arise? What makes innappropriate stuff so much more funny? Why do we say certain things to our friends that we would never say in front of our parents? Could each of us sit down before God and say the things we're saying? I think I may be a little embarrassed if God was sitting beside me, and I think I need to take responsibility and be the bigger person. We can still have fun and we can still laugh and enjoy life without all the nastyness that the world thrusts in our face every two seconds..... good things to ponder....

No comments: