Thursday, March 11, 2010

Compassion, Mercy, Grace

Convicted. That's what I am today. After listening to a sermon series on money and power, and after reading a few books/devotionals on how truly selfish our society is, I'm frustrated. What ever happened to the mantra of helping others? What happened to showing true, genuine care fot those around us? And how is it that we've become so busy that we don't see anyone else's needs other than our own?

Charles Swindoll wrote, "Truly compassionate people are often hard to understand. They take risks most people would never take. They give away what most people would cling to. They reach out and touch when most would hold back with folded arms. Their caring brings them up close where they feel the other person's pain and do whatever is necessary to demonstrate true concern."

Why is it that compassionate people are so few and far between? And why do we always take advantage of and walk all over those who are trying to help us by trying to squeeze more out of them? I hate that we've become such a self-centered society, and I'll be the first to admit that I need to work on my own attitude towards others.

After reading the above quote, I was rocked to my core. Truly compassionate people take risks that most wouldn't take. That alone is a huge statement! How often do we make our "castles in the sand" living our comfortable lives in our safe little bubbles, only to be washed away by one or two of life's devastating events? The fame, the fortune, and everything that comes with it, won't make us better people, often leaves us wanting more.

Oh how true this in in my own life. I've been that girl that's determined to succeed, pushing myself through college and getting good jobs, networking with talented people, working towards making the "big bucks". However, I've found that no matter how much I make, no matter what I do, I'm never happy.  I dreamed of making a fortune and having 3 cars, and a huge house, a vacation home, unlimited travel expenditures. And then this verse in Proverbs woke me up to the reality of what was around me, "When you're kind to others you help yourself; when you're cruel to others you hurt yourself". All the stuff in the world can never satisfy...

Kindness to others is more than a smile and a "how are you?" It's genuine concern for the wellbeing of our fellow man. If he needs something to drink, why not buy him a bottle of water? If she needs a listening ear, why not sit with her for a hour and chat? If he needs a coat, why not give him one of your 15? If she needs a job, why not connect her with contacts to help in the search? If they need a visitor while in the hospital, why not bring them flowers and encouragement? If they need a hug, a dollar, a home, anything, we're called to help them in their time of need.

And the funny thing is that the more we help, the better we feel. Because all of a sudden our world isn't just about us. It's seeing beyond the borders of our own kingdoms to the needs and interests of people all around. And I'm not just talking about the foreign, poverty stricken countries (although they do need our support and we're called to help them). No, even in our own back yards people are SCREAMING for help, but we just walk by, refusing to meet the needs that are so evident in their lives.

So what do we do? How to we break the desire for worldly riches, fame and fortune? Simply put, we ask for more grace, more mercy, more compassion filled lives. We ask to see the needs of those around us. We ask for the ability to give beyond our comforts to bless those in need. We push the desire for more from our minds/hearts and focus on giving more. Instead of buying the new car, maybe we should buy one for someone who needs one. Instead of taking the extravagent vacation, maybe we should send someone else on their dream one. Instead of filling our already bursting at the seams houses with more "stuff" that moth and rust destroy, maybe we should fill the stomachs of the hungry and clothe the naked.

"'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.'

"Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'

"The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'" - Matthew 25:34-36

No comments: