Friday, May 29, 2009

To the least of these...

Some mornings, as I make my way to work, I inevitably pass by this little old woman wandering about on the street corner. As I drive by I often hear, “stop and see if you can help.” My response, however, is always something less than Christ like – “I don’t have time today Lord, I’m running late for work” and I go about my day, forgetting all about my encounter with the woman.

Just the other day I was driving my usual route to work again, and the little old woman was again on the street corner, walking about dazed and confused. As I passed by her again, I heard the voice of the Lord prompting me, “go and buy her some new shoes, the one’s she has are falling apart. And while you’re at it, buy her a new coat. Put cash in the box, and the next time you pass her, give it to her.” Again my response goes, “Lord, I don’t even know what size shoes this woman wears, how silly it would be for me to buy her shoes! And besides, I’m running late for work again, I don’t have time.”

As I was reading my daily Word in Matthew 25 this morning, I was again reminded of the woman on the street corner, walking aimlessly, frightfully confused, and surely downtrodden. As it says in verse 37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mind, you did for me.’”

The passage in Matthew 25 was long forgotten after I read it, until my co-worker and fellow Jesus lover came up to me and said, “Did I tell you about the lady I gave a ride to this morning on my way to work?” I replied, “no – who was that?”. As she spoke of this little old woman that she’s seen day after day wandering aimlessly about - my breath was taken away. That same woman that Jesus had laid on my heart over and over and over again that I kept denying was touched by my dear co-worker this morning. And I realized that I need to get my act in together and do what the Lord has called me to do for this woman. That I may clothe her, feed her, and love her during this time. That somehow her circumstances would change through the touch and care of my co-worker and I.

Talk about a word from the Lord! How He would put the same woman in both of our lives and really convict us to love on her and help her during this season of her life is amazing – an absolute miracle. And the fact that I kept pushing something so important aside and allowing my own selfish, sinful nature drive me rather than my Father’s calling, frustrates me to the core. He speaks to us on a daily basis… he prompts our hearts to action – and it’s then up to us to decide how we will respond. I should have responded a month ago to this calling, but I’m choosing to respond today.

Is there anything in your life that God’s telling you to do, but you just can’t convince yourself to do it? Is there a “little old woman” that is “the least of these” in your life that you just keep passing by? What is God prompting your heart to do right now, right away, today?? There’s a reason He’s called you to act and respond… respond faithfully.

God is SOOOO good!! And SO amazing at how He speaks and gives confirmation! Amen! :-)

No comments: