Friday, May 22, 2009

Legacy

As I made my way North yesterday to attend my grandma’s Memorial Services, I realized the power and grace of the Lord. My morning started at 5:30am, and my drive to the family home was filled with beautiful sunshine and the reminder of the goodness of God at every turn. After picking up my dear grandpa from his Alzheimer’s care home we headed North to grandma’s grave site. The time I was able to spend with my grandpa that morning showed me the family legacy that him and grandma Bette left in place for their children, and their children’s children. In my grandpa I see where my sarcasm came from. Even though he’s not all there anymore, he’s still one of the most hilarious people I know. The whole way to the funeral he kept telling me jokes and calling me, “pretty girl” since he has long forgotten my name.

The cemetery drew near, and I was amazed at the beautiful sight of Mt. Baker in the background, covered in snow and reflecting it’s incredible beauty to all that could see it. At that very moment I understood that God does walk us through the valley’s of life, and even in the middle of life’s struggles, He gives us a sight/view of what’s to come. As I looked off to that beautiful mountain I realized that the Lord has placed desires and passions in my heart to be the “mountain in the distance” during the times of trials in my life. And along the journey, I am blessed by his “flowers” along the way which are my friends, His “paths” who are my mentors, His “trees” who are my family, and His “water” which are His word and promises refreshing my heart along the way.

As I made my way to the area where grandma is now buried, I saw the gravestones of not only my grandma, but my great-grandparents, and even my great-great grandparents – all laid in the same place for their final rest. It hit me as I stood there looking at the generations of my family’s past - that without one of those people and their influence, love, and care for our family I would not be here today. If one link was missing, one person out of the lineage the entire family of Tenacious would have never been. Then I realized the traditions that my grandmother had passed along to me and her encouragment for me to “keep the family legacy going” came directly from her parents, and her grandparents – generation after generation. What an incredible legacy to leave! And what an incredible amount of work I have to do to preserve the family traditions. And what a GREAT honor for me to have my grandma pass this responsibility on. Truly amazing – and I can’t stop being excited and thrilled for my future... no, God’s future that He has laid on my heart.

The day progressed with many more blessings as the Memorial Service at Grandma’s church came. I walked in the doors of that tiny Lutheran Church and remembered all those Sunday’s spent with grandma and grandpa when I was young. The Church filled with people, and I was asked to be the one to give the Eulogy address for my dear, sweet grandma. As I stood before the congregation of about 100 people, I shared the memories and the legacy/responsibility grandma had passed along to me in her last days through the gift of her hope chest. And I described the last dear months I had with such an incredible woman. Tearily, I fought through my speech, and shared the very things the Lord had laid on my heart that one weekend with grandma, “I have you here for a reason, for your grandma’s time is short. Love her as I would love her. Spend time with her, for you won’t have her much longer.” God works in amazing ways!

I left my Northward home feeling relieved and incredibly blessed to have restored my relationship with a family once lost, but now found. My heart was sad for the loss of grandma, but rejoiced in the fact that she’s in a place of forever rest and protection. And in all honesty, I’m slightly jealous that she gets to see Jesus and be with Him as I am here on the earth. However, I was reminded that I still have work to do, I still have people to love, and I still have a legacy to leave to not only this generation, but the next.

Another life verse:
“Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come.” – Ps. 71:18

No comments: