Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year, New Life

Well kids, it's that time again. Another year has gone flying by. I don't know what it is about time these days, but to me it seems like 2000 was yesterday, and now we're all the way to 2008. It's crazy to think that life is so busy and so hectic that we don't even see the time flying by our own faces. It all goes back to living in the moment or living in day tight compartments. Living for today- Carpe Diem. You know the lingo - so what is hindering us from living life that way? Maybe it's the hurried lifestyles we lead, the deadlines we have to meet, the long hours we have to work, the commutes we have to drive, the family pressure we have, the friendship pressures - everywhere we turn we are being stretched too thin and quite frankly we're being broken down into overworked, underloved human beings.

I don't even know how to change this pattern, other than to make people a priority in our lives. Nearly everyday I take my family and my friends for granted. I'd rather get one last project done for school or work before spending time with those I love. But let's be honest, there is always going to be more work or more projects - but life is precious and you never know when you will lose someone in your life, maybe even forever. Carpe Diem! I'm resolving this year to make my family, friends, and Jesus the priority of my life. For they are the one's that will be there through the thick and thin and will help me through some of lifes hardest challenges.

On one of my friends facebook pages this morning I found the following quote and it really caught me off guard:

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat. "

How true those words can be at times! It is one of the most difficult, lonely, depressing, frustrating, sad, devastating things in life to feel unloved, unwanted, uncared for, or forgotten. This quote really woke me up this morning and just reminded me that I need to be a better friend to those around me. One smile, one word, one hug has the power to transform a life - to take someone from depression and being "forgotten" in the world - to someone who is strong and courageous and able to stand their own ground. It's absolutely amazing. We can be the light or the strength in someone's life. We can be the influence that saves them from a life of destruction and leads them to a life of truth, love, compassion, respect, and unconditional love. Don't you want to do that for someone? Don't you want to just go out and just let this lost world know they are loved - truly loved? Oh my gosh, everything in me right now wants to just start hugging random people!

A few verses come to mind when I think of the above quote- on is from Psalm 34 - it says:

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those that are crushed in spirit"

Another says in Psalm 68:

"A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling."

So let's defend and protect the widows and the fatherless - let us love those that are struggling, that are hurting so deeply. Let us be the light in each other's lives, giving hope for a wonderful future and love to uplift them for today. I'm excited for this next year - it's going to bring some powerful changes, some amazing new opportunities, and just a time to start over and start fresh with life. Here's to a GREAT 2008!!! :-)

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Tany, I hope your 2008 is full FULL FULL of dreams come true!!!! and i hope i get to see you sometime!!!!

did i mention i love reading your blog?