Friday, January 4, 2008

Me in a nutshell

Okay, in one of my classes we had to take these Myers-Briggs personality tests to find out more about ourselves. Being the typical procrastinator that I am, I didn't really get that interested in it or anything until today. So, here's me .... in a nutshell:

I'm an ESFJ - which stands for Extrovert, Sensing, Feeling, and Judging. According to the book I have here this is the synopsis of my personality type: "Helpful, warm, cooperative, ESFJ's work well when they can meet the needs of people in a structured, timely, and practical way. They strive to make sure that people and tasks are organized harmoniously. Exercising determination and follow through , they work to achieve results that make things better for all concerned."

Some things ESFJ's do that don't work so well:

  • Take things said and actions done too personally.
  • Actively avoid conflict to keep things "harmonious"
  • Being a people pleaser - wanting everyone to get along.
  • Backing away from giving necessary criscism to others

Some things that you should know about ESFJ's and working with them:

  • We don't do well with "Devil's advocate" Role plays - just facts please
  • If you don't plan anything, we won't react well - either let ESFJ's do the planning for you or let them be involved in the planning processes
  • ESFJ's get irritated when people don't take seriously their causes or people that are important to them - the needs of others are our #1 priority
  • ESFJ's are very structured so "last minute" things or spontinateity often place a lot of stress and pressure on an ESFJ.
  • ESFJ's work on the words of others - it's important to make sure ESFJ's feel "important" or as if they "helped" in some way
  • Give an ESFJ a task - and they will complete it quickly, responsibly, and correctly.
  • ESFJ's need to be heard/listened to and find it irritating when people don't listen to them or think their ideas are "ridiculous".

Well, if that does not describe me... then I don't know what does. It kind of makes me sound like an uber intense person.... but what it boils down to is that everything I do in my life is for the needs and to help others within my life. I feel complete and as if I accomplished something if I am able to help someone who is in need. I guess I just like to feel "needed" in a way. However, the downside to my personality is that fact that I often times don't take care of myself because I'm so focused on the needs or wants of others. So that's a part that I'm currently working on changing because if i don't take care of me, I can't take care of others.

So if you're interested in looking into what your personality is and how you work with other's check out the Myers-Briggs personality test at the link below. It's actually REALLY interesting and it's pretty dead on to who you are as a person. This helps in relationships of all kinds because if you can understand your friends and where they are coming from or if you can understand your significant other's personality type - it will help you better communicate with the person and have a much more satisfying relationship.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Once you've found out your type.... check what the psychologists have to say about it.... I'd love to hear what type everyone is! Enjoy!

And if you want to know more about ESFJ's check out the link below....

http://www.personalitypage.com/ESFJ.html

Oh and one more on how I am in relationships:

http://www.personalitypage.com/ESFJ_rel.html

No comments: