Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Life's too Short

Here I sit on my typical blogging perch at my dining room table, munching on chocolate chips and peanut butter, listening to a random variety of music in my iTunes, and I just had this realization... Life is too short.

Life's too short to busy ourselves with the mundane.
Life's too short to worry about the "what if's"
Life's too short to just sit on the sidelines.

These last few weeks I've had a few wake up calls. This life is not about me. This life is not about what I can acquire, what I can gain. No. This life is about other's. It's about the great adventure that God has called me to. It's about His plan, His will, His direction. It's time to step up to the plate and partake in all things this life has to offer. I hate how busy I get with silly projects, or when I blow people off because I get swamped with some work project or just feeling overwhelmed with the "things" of life (you know - laundry, bills, cleaning the house, etc). I wish I could sit at a coffee shop and chat with people for hours. I wish I didn't mind if I were late just to invest time in someone else. I wish I didn't care if I were interrupted in the middle of something just to hug a friend. I wish I didn't get agitated by the small things and lose my focus on the much bigger picture.

This week I've come to realize that I live my life way too much out of fear, way too much out of the "what if's", way too much in the comforts of the American Dream. I want to travel. I want to experience. I want to go. I want to be the hands and feet of Jesus on this earth... and I want my selfish, sinful nature to die so I can do so.

Oy! So much going through my mind today... so much on my heart. I feel I've lost much in these past months. And sometimes I don't know if I'll ever get it back. But there is one thing I do know - I serve a God who is exceedingly, abundantly more able to do more than I could ever ask or imagine. He's at work today and everyday. He's the one that leads my paths and allows me to intersect into the lives of others. And with that comes me dying to self as Paul says in Romans 7.

Father, let me not live this life going through the motions. It's too short to live it that way. Let me have eyes to see, ears to hear, and a heart to understand your glorious ways and plans. For I don't want to waste another moment of the precious time I have....

No comments: