Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Two Thousand Ten

2010. Another decade of this world, gone. A new one, just beginning. Full of possibilities, choices, failures, blessings, and everything in between – we start another year. Life seems to fly by, especially in modern society, where productivity abounds, while relationships and families fall. The important “things” in life can be merely swept away in a blink of an eye. As our world continues to refuse to defend the important and succumbs to the pressure of the gods of this modern society(fame, sex, drugs, money, etc).

As we enter into a new decade, my hope and prayer is that the relationship and the love of others would be evident moreso than what the Jones’ have that I don’t. Rather than focusing on the “stuff” of life that will surely disappoint, finding the true meaning of life on this earth. Seeking to glorify The One and Only, instead of satisfying our own desires. That Ps. 37:4 would become a reality in life, rather than the fleshly desires that often rule and reign over us. No, that we would give full access of ourselves to God that He may pour out his desires on our souls, and that we would follow him faithfully in any direction or path He leads us.

As I’ve begun pondering goals and direction for the next year of life, I’m reminded of James 4:14, “How do you know what will happen tomorrow? For your life is like the morning fog – it’s here a little while, then it’s gone.” The reminder that our lives are short, brings up a multitude of questions like: What am I being called to do? What does God want me to do while I'm here? What are the specific gifts and talents that I have that can help me attain my goals/desires?

As I read a dear friend of mine's blog the other day about "what do you want?", I decided to do a little thinking/praying about what it is that I truly desire my life to look like now, and in the future. I could sit here and list all the things I've ever wanted, like A White Convertible Mustang with Bright Pink Racing Stripes, or the 6000 square foot dream house with a Mother in Law apartment and plenty of space for cooking, entertaining, and being a "home away from home" for those in need, or My debt being gone - erased, never to be thought of again. But the reality is, the world we live in, the lives of those around us are more materially based than ever before. I often look at my own dissatisfaction with the incredible BLESSINGS that are in my life and think, "what an ungrateful jerk I am!". The truth is, if we're lucky enough to have a roof over our heads, food to eat, and clothes to wear, we're richer than 85% of the world. That's HUGE!

As we face 2010 I've wondered: Why is it that we Americans deal with this intrinsic need to one up the Jones'? Why are we bombarded by stuff only to find that the more we get the more we "need" or "want". The unquenchable thirst for more has plagued the lives of this nation for decades, and the American Dream is nothing more than an exhausted fantasy never to be truly fulfilled.

As I sit in a world deteriorating by urges, rather than necessity, I find that the true things I want aren't what I "want" at all. They're simply what I desire - things forever etched on my soul. Simple acts and steps that have been spoken to my heart in the still small, steady Voice:

1. I desire to preach/teach the gospel "fearlessly as I should..." (Eph. 6). Not just sitting back and allowing the "big wigs" to influence our world. No, I want to be a voice and a vessel of Christ in the lives of those I come into contact with. Whether it's a person on the street corner or one of my beloved relatives. If I'm the only Jesus they ever see, I want to be the best example of Him possible, and in every circumstance/situation.

2. I long to write. There's not a day that goes by that my desire and need to write doesn't take over my thoughts. Short stories, life stories, nonfictional examples of grace, forgiveness, trust, pain, and inevitable eternal Joy.

3. I desire to have an "open door" policy anywhere and everywhere I go. If someone needs something, I want to fulfill it to the best of my ability.

4. I long for love, by the best earthly example possible. I love for relationship with another that is a an example of the love Christ has for His Church and that people would see our relationship as different, as a model.

5. I desire to leave a legacy for generations to come of overcoming obstacles by the grace and joy of the Lord.

6. I desire adventure, travel, change, risk, and everything that comes with it. Making memories along the way, rather than filling boxes with the "trinkets" where moth and rust destroy.

7. I want my ministry to be my job and my job to be my ministry.

8. I desire community - true community where we lean on one another, encouraging, challenging, building, and loving each other as Christ guides our lives. Lifelong friendships of support.

This is just the beginning of the life long list of desires, hopes, and dreams that I have. Of course I have my goals for the year and for life, but the above listed items are more than just goals - they're cravings of the soul. Desires that only He can fulfill in my heart.

"Don't Doubt in the Darkness what God Promised in the Light." - Pastor David Goode

What are your desires? What are the cravings of your soul? What needs to be done to achieve them? And where are you going to begin?

Here's to a fantastic 2010!

No comments: