Sunday, January 1, 2012

Bye bye 2011, Hello 2012

Honestly, I don't have much to say, no wise words, nothing stupendous to share on all things 2011. As with every other year, I sit here on January 1st and look back at the last year. And this year, I find myself looking back and going "what the heck??"

2011 started with a party at some friends house and the first part of the year was filled with similar things. Getting together with friends, and buliding relationships with people whom I thought were like family to me. Funny how I sit at the end of 2011 without those very people I treasured most in my life... funny how quickly things change.

In February my mom had brain surgery and I just about went bonkers with all the logistics. We went from  signing last will's and testaments right down to passwords for bank accounts and last wishes. NOT an enjoyable season of life, to say the least.

In the summer, I dated a boy for the first time in a long time. Though nothing was ever made 'official", I very much valued the times and the memories we shared. And something hit me a bit funny as I recalled my dating history in the past few years. I haven't been in a serious relationship in 3+ years. Sure I've dated people here and there, but nothing serious, nothing steady for over 3 years now. And I sit here at the ripe age of 26 going, "okay Lord, maybe it's just not in the cards for me." And I'm reminded that just because he says "not yet" doesn't mean He's said "no" altogether. In the past year, I've come to understand and appreciate that my story with the man I'll someday be with is going to be anything but ordinary. Don't ask me why I feel that way, I just get this sense that it will be.

In August I got my Crossfit Certification and started training people in November. It's been such a blessing to learn from and come under friends who encouraged me to go after this dream and get it done.

November started with me joining a leadership team at a church in Orange. I'm the person who makes sure all the logistics of every Sunday go according to plan. It's been an eye opening experience, to say the least.

I guess what last year, 2011, boiled down to was another series of stripping down to be rebuilt. I lost friends, I lost a community, a possibly relationship, and so much more, but I've gained so much. Where I've lost "Christian" friends, I've met non-Christians who really challenge me and my beliefs. I've had some of the best conversations to date with some awesome people. With that, God has brought little gifts, little reminders of His love and provision. A new home being one of them, complete with a washer/dryer, gas stove, and a balcony. All things a girl appreciates in life. This year has been nothing short of amazing and challenging. It's been a true blessing to me. And by His grace, I've made it through, hopefully a bit more mature, a bit less selfish, and a lot more loving and caring towards others.

So 2012 - here we come! May you be a year of Jubilee!

No comments: