Monday, May 23, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things!

"...when the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad... I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel... so bad!"

This is so not my typical post. It's one of those posts that just popped into my head today as I was going through the motions of "life". It's a post with no real reason or challenge or good word. Nope. Simply put - this is me, what makes me tick, what brings joy and blessing to my life. So without further adieu...

1. Coffee Shops complete with good literature, a journal, my Bible, a cup of java (or green tea Frappe's) and a cookie. This is my getaway with God. My date with Jesus, if you will. And I tell you, if I miss date night, my heart feels it.

2. Nap time on the beach. I am most rested by these simple naps. All that's needed is some sunscreen (my NW paleness gets a little rosy too quickly in this Southern California sun), a towel, and some water. By far the most relaxing way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

3. QT with friends and family. I LOVE anything that involves me and those nearest and dearest to me. Whether it's a meal, a game of ultimate frisbee, churching together, or serving alongside each other, when I'm surrounded by friends my heart is blessed abundantly.

4. Having an "ah ha!" moment with Jesus where the Spirit hits me to my core and I can't help but share what new revelation just happened. SO good!

5. Friday nights with the roomie (and her bf if he's around) complete with red wine, dinner, and movies or chat time on all things philosophical.

6. Music. People often think my taste in music is a bit, how do we put this..... odd. I like the sounds of techno, with a bit of salsa mixed in. I enjoy everything from folk to hip hop, country to new age. Alternative to Bach. I've a plethora of music on my iPod ranging and not limited to: Yanni, Hoobastank, Justin Timberlake, Garth Brooks, DJ Doboy, Enya, Michelle Branch, Angels and Airwaves and just about everything in between. And I LOVE it! :-)

7. Listening to podcasts while getting ready for the day. Yes, I am one of those nerds. There's nothing like listening to some of the great preachers of today. Such wisdom, such perseverance, such gusto to share the Truth of Christ to all.

8. Dancing. This too ranges from the cheer dances of back in the day right down to salsa or ballet. I attempt all of them at different points in my life. And may I just say, one of the best places to get your groove on is the shower. I'm just sayin'.

9. Doing anything in nature - outside of the busyness of this thing we call life. Whether it's camping with friends or a Sunday drive up to a random canyon and hiking it alone - there's something restful and rejuvenating about being in creation. It's a powerful experience, to say the least.

10. Watching something prayed for, hoped for become a reality. Whether it's my friend's gym going from a dream to a real life business, broken relationships restored, or my own mom's healing - I see the hand of God in so many things and am truly blessed by the tangible evidence of His hand at work. It makes me want to pray all the more and ask for the Spirit to intercede more. Jesus let me not be quick to forget your goodness and grace.

11. Traveling to new places. There is such a bug in me these days to get out more, to travel to the places I've always wanted to go. Europe beckons me, Israel calls me home. Africa and South America - all of them just fascinate me. What are the cultures like? What are the people like? What's their history?? Oh Lord let me see this world of yours... and let me see it with your eyes.

12. People watching, especially my friends. I absolutely love the honesty of life in community. I love watching my friends fall in love with their significant others. I love watching them learn and grow. I'm blessed to watch people once lost, now found, speaking of their salvation experience and bringing others into it. I am gladdened (is that even a word?) by new friendships and those friends making connections with other friends and building their own community.

These are just a few of my favorite things... there's so much I love and this is only the beginning. Thank you Lord for the gifts you give and the simple joys of life.


No comments: