Saturday, December 13, 2008

Overwhelming Everyday

Have you ever had that feeling of being so completely overwhelmed by the everyday that you literally feel "out of body"? How about those days that you wake up in the morning bombarded by the issues and problems that have dominated your life for so long? Or, what about those evenings when you finally hit the pillow only to find your mind racing with worry and doubt, questionning why on earth you're going through what you're facing?

The funny thing is, I think all of us are way too comfortable with being fake - convincing ourselves and those around us that we're "okay". Okay with the overwhelming issues of the everyday. Okay with the fact that we feel like we're going nowhere. Okay with the idea that we may never get to where we dreamed of being. Okay with the idea that we can do everything on our own. We're just okay - right?

Wrong. The second that we convince ourselves that we can get through life on our own is the second that we lose our faith in Christ as the leader and sustainer of our life. God never said it was going to be easy, in fact He said it would be quite the opposite. It's interesting to me that we as humans compare ourselves to one another so frequently. Why in the world does it matter if we can keep up with the Jones'? Why is it such a big deal for us to worry about what others think? Why can't we just get in touch with ourselves - the person that God has created us to be - and accept who we were called to be? What is so difficult about living life, ups and downs included, as joyful - accepting - loving followers of Christ?

It's called society.
It's called gossip.
It's called peer pressure.
It's called "generational".

It's called... Sin.

Those times when we doubt the power of the Lord to completely bless us and carry us through our trials and tribulations is when we falter the most. The times we decide to plan our lives on our own. The time when we think we know best - and tell God how things should be.

I bet God laughs at us constantly.

Why in the world are we so smug and arrogant to think that telling the God of the universe, of all Creation, of every life, breath, and blessing - that we know best? Who do we think we are??

Recently, I've been frustrated with the fact that no matter how much I pray, ask, and even complain to the Lord about the happenings in my life and those around me - I still get nothing of an answer from God. Then I'm reminded by Him - almost silently - that God has three answers to prayer: 1. yes, 2. no, 3. It's not the right time/I have something better coming. It's when we lose patience that we become dissatisfied, frustrated, depressed, confused, and downright angry.

Love is patient. And if we love Christ, shouldn't we be patient with His timing and listen to what He has to teach us along the way?

I know in my own life, when I'm most frustrated I'm also the most selfish. What I should be doing is looking around to the needs of others. It's amazing how staying busy and building into the lives of others when we're struggling the most allows us the freedom, love, and joy that only Christ can bring. So I encourage each of us (myself included) to see the needs and fulfill them in any way possible. And I bet while we're at it, we'll also find the peace that passes all understanding.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding." -Prov. 3:5 NIV

"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure everything out on your own." - Prov. 3:5 The Message


“I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.” Charles Swindoll

No comments: