Saturday, November 8, 2008

Disconnected

Recently, I've come to the realization that I'm surrounded by people, yet there is an overwhelming feeling of disconnectedness that comes while living in today's society. How is it that we can be standing right next to someone in an elevator yet lack the ability to even say "hello"? Or how do we work day in and day out with dozens of people yet know nothing about them? Where they live, who they love, where they go outside of the office. . .

We are disconnected from each other. But, we're also disconnected from God and from the physcial world in which we live. Currently, I'm reading the book "Sex God" by Rob Bell (thank you readers for the suggestion!) - and it's amazing how many quesitons come up out of one little book. In Chapter Two (Sexy on the Inside) Rob specifically describes the disconnect we as humans have with the world around us. As the chapter concludes, he says, "You can't be connected with God until you're at peace with who you are." How true is that?

I know in my own life when I surround myself with standards that the world puts in place, I struggle with being myself and the person the Lord has called me to be. It's when comparison becomes a part of my everyday life that I see not only my relationship with the Lord crumble, but also my human connections. Society around me would have me worried about what I look like, what size I am, what kind of designer purse I do or don't have. The world would have me judge others so that I can pick up and praise myself. How selfish is that? What in the world gives me the right to sit on my high and mighty throne and point the finger at everyone around me? The truth of the matter is the more I point and judge, the more depressed and disconnected I become. And when I'm disconnected, not feeling and living and encouraging towards/with those around me, I've lost myself in the oblivioon of this life. Unable to sustain relationships and live for the one who created me.

Wow... "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." - Hebrews 12:1

Here's to choosing to live a life of connectedness with those around us. Loving, living, and enjoying life - together.

No comments: