Thursday, April 17, 2008

Excellence

Excellence. What does that word mean to you? To me it's near perfection, when the negative things in life cannot keep you down, and you're always racing for increased success. Today, while I was rummaging through more stuff in my house and packing more of the junk I've accumulated through the years, I came across this quote that I haven't seen since I was in High School. It reads:

"Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise; risking more than others think is safe; dreaming more than others think is practical; and expecting more than others think is possible."

I remember when I first got this quote. My mom has always been sentimental with little sayings and the like. At the time I was really frustrated with my Cheer Career and trying to figure out why I was injured so much and why it just seemed so hard to get along with everyone. My mom just gave me a card with that quote inside. I cried - of course! But it the words within it are amazing.

Through the years since then, many, many people have asked me why I have such a good attitude even in the more negative and disappointing circumstances. I guess it partially comes from what is said in this quote. I care about people when others give up on them. I risk things and relationships in my life for the betterment of someone else. I dream bigger than anyone I know. And I expect more than many people this is even possible. Wow... that really just made me seem conceited. But that's not my point. I try my hardest to prevent or my own personal laziness from holding me back from achieving and being the person that I've always dreamed I would become. I've had SO many huge goals thoughout my life... and yes, I may never gain each and every one of them. However, I hold true to the saying "Shoot for the stars and land on the moon."

Why not dream big? Why not become the person your soul is calling you to be? Why not risk your life or your comfort zone for the betterment of someone else? Why not care or have the compassion for something that makes your heart sing, or even break? What is holding us back from achieving all we've ever dreamed of doing?

Honestly, it comes back to fear... the paralyzing, lying, prevention feeling that overtakes so many. I challenge us to rise above the fear and start achieving more, dreaming more, risking more, and expecting more. We will be met with success because we did.

No comments: